This section aims to:
- give an introduction to weight problems
- outline the Shape-Up approach, and
- help you to plan carefully the changes you want to make.
It will help you to:
- examine your level of motivation
- consider the difficulties you may have in making changes
- set the stage for the rest of the programme, and
- learn some new skills that will enable you to manage your eating and activity better.
The section is divided into three parts:
- WEIGHT CONCERNS talks about why overweight is so common in the UK and how it can affect health. It also explains how to check whether you're overweight.
- THE SHAPE-UP APPROACH TO WEIGHT MANAGEMENT explains how knowledge, skills and motivation to change will help you to make permanent changes to your eating and activity habits.
- PAVING THE WAY describes a way to help you analyse your eating and physical activity problems, and teaches you some useful skills including self-monitoring (keeping a careful record of what you do), setting realistic goals and rewarding yourself for your achievements.
Section 2 The Shape-Up healthy eating plan
Section 3 Getting more active
Section 4 Shopping, cooking and eating out
Section 5 Keeping going