Eating out is an enjoyable social activity, just because you are now eating healthily doesn't mean it has to stop. You just need to think carefully about the food choices that you are making.
- Choose foods which have been grilled, char grilled, poached, stir-fried, steamed, or baked rather than fried
- Avoid foods which are coated in batter or breadcrumbs
- Watch out for foods with a rich/creamy sauce
- Go for a lean meat or fish option
- Try to have some vegetables or salad
- Fill up on starchy foods (potatoes, rice, plain pasta)
- Ask for dressings and sauces to be served on the side, so you can choose how much to use
- Choose fruit/fruit salad or a sorbet as a dessert
- Go for either a starter or a dessert, not both, or share with a partner.
- Avoid being over hungry by the time you get to the restaurant - this may cause you to over eat
- Remember you don't have to clear your plate
- Eat slowly and enjoy your food
Click on links below for some tips on foods to avoid at restaurants and alternative suggestions:
How do I start?